Tuesday, February 17, 2009

God's Full-Time Job

I was reading one of my devotionals today and this was the scripture...

"The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want." Psalm 23:1

The bible tells us we are like sheep. When i think of sheep..i think of fearful, defenseless creatures. Which would also describe me at times..always searching for security and requiring a lot of care. I think its amazing that God choose such a perfect analogy to describe His "role". As our Shepherd He leads us...tends to us...and protects us. On our own we are helpless against the power of sin and death..but with our Great God we can overcome sin and He saved us from death by sending His only son to die for us! O what a Shepherd He is! Without His guidance we cling to any form of information and entertainment that we believe will provide us with comfort and offer us love. But only He is our true comfort and only He can truly Love us.

This also brings to mind the challenge it is for our Pastor's. They too are our Shepherd's...called by God to lead us and guide us here on earth. What a challenge that could be...but I thank God for them...and i know that they are truly seeking God first. But we also must keep in mind that just as much as our Pastor shepherds pray for us...his flock should be praying for him. He himself is human and we need to remember that. He has trials...he has struggles..he has fears. It is not fair to rely on him for spiritual guidance and not pray for him in return.

I am so grateful to God for His full-time job...where He never takes a sick day nor a lunch break..there are no vacations or voicemails. And i am grateful for our Pastors...who also have very important full-time jobs!

Thanking God for our Good Shepherd...Jesus!

JM

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice blog! i found it through my dad's comments. like, you, i am not as disciplined of a blogger as i'd like to be, but i'm trying to get back in the swing of it. like, journaling, i find it to be a good way to stay connected with others through my reflections on my spiritual journey. it's a privilege to be one of your earthly shepherds.

Pastor Brett

4:25 AM  
Blogger Jacquie said...

Hey Pastor! Yea..i need to get back into it too...it really helps me! Now your dad is a faithful blogger...he has a new post almost everyday! Thanks for reading...and thanks for being such a great pastor! I know you know this already...but God is doing BIG things in our church right now...im so excited! And He choose you to lead us..and i am very grateful!

4:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home