Thursday, May 04, 2006

Rating Your Dating While Waiting for Mating...

Just finished this book from Ed Young called “Rating Your Dating While Waiting for Mating” (say that bad boy a dozen times fast). I read it for a few reasons (besides the obvious) but while in the relationship class we watched a video that Ed Young made and I really liked his “dating approach”. I also admired the way he spoke of his wife….it touches my heart when I hear men authentically talk of the love for their wife. Only 3 men so far (that I have met) have done it..one of my pastors George…the preacher at teen camp 2 years ago Jeremiah Bolich and Ed Young. Anyway… the book was short only 94 pages and very simple. But definitely worth it for our teens.. which is the other reason I read it. This book would be great for teens it really can reach them on a “cool” level (which I sometimes can not) with Young’s creative description on finding your “ulti-mate”.

Although I realized a few pages in that his focus for this book was mainly for an age range of prob about 15-20 a few things really spoke to me (of course God would use anything He wants to talk) it was just different that what I usually read. He used a lot of car references to explain things which at times were pretty comical, but it really was a great approach especially for our generation. But what I liked most about this book was that it did not just gently touch on premarital sex…it took up 2 out of the 4 chapters (I said it was short)! But he didn’t just lay down more rules for us to follow he really got into “?why?” God wants it this way…why it is to protect us not torture us. He also went over “the test drive deception” which is common sometimes in dating….when we want to just “try things out for a while before sealing the deal”. But while we take our potential mate our for a little spin we damage our relationship with them and God in the meantime. While men test-drive to try out the intimacy and maybe the “house wife” abilities…women test-drive for a whole other reason. Yep…to manipulate your man into marriage…that definitely sounds like us…lol!

There were a lot of great points in the book with biblical backing which always makes it even better! Another great point was next to the decision to follow Christ this is the next most important decision we have to make in our lives!! So I will be forcing my bible study that I lead of 7th -10th grade girls and maybe even by boyfriend (that should be fun) to read this book…but if anything it has made me appreciate (and understand) God’s reason for dating before mating much more!

Rating my dating!!!
JD

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home